Judge: Majority of Cohen’s seized documents will be handed over to feds

Judge: Majority of Cohen’s seized documents will be handed over to feds
© UPI Photo

Most of the documents seized by FBI investigators during an April raid of the offices and home of President TrumpDonald John TrumpDemocrats ask if they have reason to worry about UK result Trump scramble to rack up accomplishments gives conservatives heartburn Seven years after Sandy Hook, the politics of guns has changed MORE's longtime former attorney Michael Cohen will be handed over to prosecutors and are not protected by attorney-client privilege, a judge said Friday.

In a written order obtained by Reuters, U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood confirmed findings by the special master appointed to review the documents. The special master found that just 161 documents of the roughly 300,000 reviewed so far are privileged.

ADVERTISEMENT

FBI agents seized a total of 3.7 million documents from Cohen during a raid in April, and Cohen's legal team argued they should be able to review them for potentially protected material. The prosecution argued that few were protected by attorney-client privilege as Cohen was “performing little to no legal work” for Trump at the time.

Trump and his allies have attacked the raid on Cohen's office and subsequent investigation of the attorney for bank fraud and possible campaign finance violations as a "disgrace," with the president himself calling it an "attack on the country" at the time.

“It’s a real disgrace,” Trump told reporters at the White House in April. “It’s an attack on our country in a true sense. It’s an attack on what we all stand for.”

Cohen is under investigation for bank fraud and possible campaign finance law violations for his $130,000 payment to Stormy Daniels, an adult-film star who says the payment was part of a nondisclosure agreement to cover up her claims of an affair with the president.