Top National Security Council official forced out: report

Top National Security Council official forced out: report
© Greg Nash

A top National Security Council (NSC) official was forced to leave the group on Thursday, the most recent departure since national security adviser John Bolton joined the administration earlier this year, Politico reports.

Jennifer Arangio, a senior director in the NSC who worked with global groups, was escorted off White House premises and told that she was no longer needed in the administration, according to Politico.

An NSC spokesman told the newspaper that the group doesn’t comment on personnel issues, and Arangio didn’t return the publication’s request for comment.

ADVERTISEMENT

A former White House official told the outlet that Arangio is “fiercely loyal” to President TrumpDonald John TrumpPompeo changes staff for Russia meeting after concerns raised about top negotiator's ties: report House unravels with rise of 'Les Enfants Terrible' Ben Carson: Trump is not a racist and his comments were not racist MORE, but that she clashed with White House aide Stephen Miller.

"She has fought to correct misleading information about refugees and migrants provided to the president by Miller and the DPC," the former White House official said.

The publication also reported that two other top NSC officials, Joel Rayburn and Michael Bell, left the group’s Middle East sector this week.

Rayburn is expected to join the State Department while it’s unclear what the other official, Michael Bell, will do, according to Politico. Rayburn didn't return the publication's request for comment and Bell couldn't be reached. 

Several officials have left the NSC since Bolton began officially overseeing the group in early April. Former homeland security adviser Tom Bossert and spokesman Michael Anton are among the officials who have left the NSC.

Bolton has said that he wants to reshape the council.