NY subway bombing suspect convicted of all charges

NY subway bombing suspect convicted of all charges
© Getty Images

The 28-year-old man accused of detonating a pipe bomb in the New York City subway system last year was convicted Tuesday on all charges, according to multiple reports.

Akayed Ullah, a Bangladeshi immigrant living in Brooklyn, was convicted of possessing an illegal weapon, making terroristic threats and supporting an act of terrorism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ullah detonated the pipe bomb in a subway station near the Port Authority Bus Terminal on Dec. 11, 2017. No one was killed or seriously injured in the attack.

Prosecutors alleged that he was attempting to carry out a "lone wolf"-style attack on behalf of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

Law enforcement sources told The Associated Press after the attack that Ullah had been inspired by the Islamic State, but was not in direct contact with anyone in the terror group. Prosecutors cited social media postings and statements made by Ullah as evidence of his affiliation with the group.

CNN also reported a law enforcement source said at the time that Ullah had expressed anger at Israeli "incursions" into the Gaza Strip amid protests over President TrumpDonald John TrumpFlorida GOP lawmaker says he's 'thinking' about impeachment Democrats introduce 'THUG Act' to block funding for G-7 at Trump resort Kurdish group PKK pens open letter rebuking Trump's comparison to ISIS MORE's decision to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

Ullah's attack came just over one month after 29-year-old Uzbekistani immigrant Sayfullo Saipov killed eight people in a truck attack in Lower Manhattan in another lone wolf, ISIS-style attack.