Trump admin to discuss sending additional military force to Middle East amid Iran tensions: report

Trump admin to discuss sending additional military force to Middle East amid Iran tensions: report
© Getty Images

Trump administration security officials will reportedly discuss a decision to potentially send additional military to the Middle East following last week's attack on two oil tankers which the administration has blamed on Iran. 

It's not clear when the president will be briefed or a decision will be made, two officials told CNN.

On Friday, acting Defense Secretary Patrick ShanahanPatrick Michael ShanahanHouse Armed Services chairman expresses confidence in Esper amid aircraft carrier coronavirus crisis Boeing pleads for bailout under weight of coronavirus, 737 fallout Esper's chief of staff to depart at end of January MORE hinted such discussions could take place.

"When you look at the situation, a Norwegian ship, Japanese ship, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, [United Arab Emirates], 15 percent of the world's oil flows through the Strait of Hormuz, so we obviously need to make contingency plans should the situation deteriorate but we also need to broaden our support for this international situation," Shanahan told CNN. 

ADVERTISEMENT

CNN reports that officials say the discussions are centered on defense against Iranian aggression and what forces would be needed to do so.

Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard PompeoGOP scrambles to fend off Kobach in Kansas primary Pompeo: Trump taking action on Chinese software firms 'in coming days' Navarro: 'Don't fall for' message from TikTok lobbyists, 'puppet CEO' MORE last week during a press briefing pointed the finger at Iran after two foreign oil tankers were reported attacked in the Gulf of Oman. 

The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.