National Security

Trump admin to discuss sending additional military force to Middle East amid Iran tensions: report

Trump administration security officials will reportedly discuss a decision to potentially send additional military to the Middle East following last week's attack on two oil tankers which the administration has blamed on Iran. 

It's not clear when the president will be briefed or a decision will be made, two officials told CNN.

On Friday, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan hinted such discussions could take place.

"When you look at the situation, a Norwegian ship, Japanese ship, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, [United Arab Emirates], 15 percent of the world's oil flows through the Strait of Hormuz, so we obviously need to make contingency plans should the situation deteriorate but we also need to broaden our support for this international situation," Shanahan told CNN. 

CNN reports that officials say the discussions are centered on defense against Iranian aggression and what forces would be needed to do so.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo last week during a press briefing pointed the finger at Iran after two foreign oil tankers were reported attacked in the Gulf of Oman. 

The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment. 

 

Outbrain