Acting director of national intelligence denies threatening to resign

The acting director of National Intelligence on Wednesday denied a report from The Washington Post that he threatened to resign if President TrumpDonald John TrumpLawmakers prep ahead of impeachment hearing Democrats gear up for high-stakes Judiciary hearing Warren says she made almost M from legal work over past three decades MORE sought to block his testimony before Congress regarding the Ukraine scandal.

“At no time have I considered resigning my position since assuming this role on Aug. 16, 2019. I have never quit anything in my life, and I am not going to start now," Joseph Maguire said in a statement. "I am committed to leading the Intelligence Community."

ADVERTISEMENT

The Post had reported that Maguire told the White House that he was unwilling to withhold information from Congress, forcing the administration to make a decision on whether or not it would exert executive privilege over an intelligence community whistleblower complaint at the center of House Democrats' impeachment inquiry.

White House press secretary Stephanie GrishamStephanie GrishamWhite House spokesperson: Pelosi, Democrats 'hate Trump's success' Fewer Americans following impeachment inquiry, poll shows Appeals court hands Trump partial win over 'public charge' rule for immigrants MORE had also forcefully denied the Post’s report:

The whistleblower complaint from inside the intelligence community has not been seen by Congress, and it is not clear what allegations it makes beyond those involving a call between Trump and Ukranian President Volodymyr Zelensky in which Trump pressured his Ukrainian counterpart to investigate former Vice President Joe BidenJoe BidenBiden: Buttigieg 'doesn't have significant black support even in his own city' Biden: 'I'd add' Warren to my list of potential VP picks How can top Democrats run the economy with no business skill? MORE, who is seeking to challenge him for the White House in 2020.

The complaint was given to Maguire last month, putting him in the middle of a fight between the White House and Congress, where House Democrats have demanded to see it.

Trump has denied any wrongdoing in conversations with the foreign leader, saying that there was no explicit quid pro quo.

—Updated at 3:46 p.m. Chris Mills Rodrigo contributed.