Trump administration drops plan to face scan all travelers leaving or entering US

Trump administration drops plan to face scan all travelers leaving or entering US
© iStock

The Trump administration has reportedly abandoned plans to use devices to scan the faces of all travelers leaving or entering the U.S., following pressure from Congress and privacy advocates.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials told NBC News on Thursday that the plans, which were first reported by Reuters earlier this week, had been set aside following consultation with lawmakers.

“There are no current plans to require U.S. citizens to provide photographs upon entry and exit from the United States. CBP intends to have the planned regulatory action regarding U.S. citizens removed from the unified agenda next time it is published,” an official told NBC.

ADVERTISEMENT

The proposal was not yet public and was set to be released next July, though administration officials reportedly planned to fast-track the measure past a pilot program directly to use for all travelers, including U.S. citizens, coming or going from the U.S.

Administration officials reportedly believed the security measure would make it easier to track terrorists and other criminals and better identify threats.

Sen. Ed MarkeyEdward (Ed) John MarkeyGOP senators debate replacing Columbus Day with Juneteenth as a federal holiday The Hill's Campaign Report: Jacksonville mandates face coverings as GOP convention approaches Steyer endorses Markey in Massachusetts Senate primary MORE (D-Mass.) called CBP's reversal “a victory for every single American traveler who flies on a plane" in a statement to NBC News.