Security fencing, barriers go back up at Capitol
Security fencing and barriers began going back up around the Capitol late Wednesday ahead of a rally planned for Saturday in support of the Jan. 6 rioters.
Authorities are going on high alert for the “Justice for J6” rally, which is meant to protest the criminal charges those who stormed the Capitol while Congress was certifying the results of the presidential election are facing. Around 600 people are currently charged in connection with the Jan. 6 insurrection.
Roughly 700 people are expected to attend the pro-Trump rally, an official at the Department of Homeland Security said earlier this week. The agency also expects that a number of demonstrators connected to the groups that stormed the Capitol will return for Saturday’s event.
— Haley Talbot (@haleytalbotnbc) September 16, 2021
Since the election, former President Trump has continued to falsely claim that he won the election and it was rigged for President Biden, without providing any evidence.
The Capitol fencing was first erected days after Jan. 6 and was not fully taken down until July.
“The fence will go up a day or two before and if everything goes well it will come down very soon after,” U.S. Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger said on Monday, ABC 7 reported.
The Capitol Police board has also issued an emergency declaration allowing the force to deputize outside law enforcement as “special” Capitol Police officers during the rally.
And on Wednesday, Capitol Police requested that the Pentagon provide National Guard troops for the upcoming rally, Reuters noted.
“It’s going to be a busy weekend in the city,” Chris Geldart, D.C. deputy mayor for public safety and justice, said Tuesday, adding that the district’s police department will be “all hands on deck so everybody will be in.”