SPONSORED:

Alt-right calls off march on Google

Alt-right organizers have called off a march on Google to protest the firing last week of a programmer who penned a controversial memo on diversity.

Jack Posobiec, a conspiracy theorist and alt-right social media personality, said in a statement on the protest's website that the event was being canceled because threats had been made against the organizers.
 
"The Peaceful March on Google has been postponed due to credible Alt Left terrorist threats for the safety of our citizen participants," Posobiec wrote.

He said that someone had threatened to drive into the crowd of protesters, which would be a copy of the attack that occurred in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday. The suspect in that attack, who killed one and injured at least a dozen others when he plowed his car into peaceful counterprotesters, is alleged to have ties to white nationalists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Posobiec and other organizers of the Google protest have denied any links to the groups of white nationalists and white supremacists who flocked to Charlottesville over the weekend.

Posobiec is known for giving voice to outlandish and unfounded conspiracy theories, including one that inspired a gunman to attack a Washington, D.C., pizza restaurant.

Figures on the far right have rallied around James Damore, who was fired from Google last week after criticizing the company’s efforts to improve its diversity.

Damore argued that gender gaps in the company’s workforce were largely attributable to biological differences rooted in gender.

— This story was updated at 9:55 a.m.