FCC delays Sinclair-Tribune review to allow for more public input
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is allowing more time for the public to weigh in on the Sinclair Broadcast Group’s proposed takeover of Tribune Media.
The FCC’s Media Bureau said Wednesday that it would be halting its “shot clock” for approval for the deal’s broadcast license transfers.
The commission said it will pause its shot clock for 15 days, offering a new deadline of Nov. 2 for the public to submit additional comments.
The agency usually aims to complete its transfer reviews within 180 days. But Sinclair’s acquisition of Tribune has been controversial, prompting opposition from consumer groups, Democrats and even rival conservative media outlets.
Last month, the FCC asked Sinclair for more information on the acquisition, including how it plans to stay in line with media ownership limits.
Wednesday’s announcement is intended to give interested parties more time to weigh in on Sinclair’s response, which was filed earlier this month.