Week ahead in tech: Lawmakers push to improve broadband access

Week ahead in tech: Lawmakers push to improve broadband access
© Getty

A House panel will look into ways to build out the nation's broadband infrastructure in the coming week.

The issue is getting added attention as President TrumpDonald John TrumpKimberly Guilfoyle reports being asymptomatic and 'feeling really pretty good' after COVID-19 diagnosis Biden says he will rejoin WHO on his first day in office Lincoln Project offers list of GOP senators who 'protect' Trump in new ad MORE is set to discuss his long-promised $1.7 trillion infrastructure proposal during Tuesday's State of the Union address.

Hours before he shares details on his plans, the House Energy and Commerce Committee's subcommittee on technology will be holding a hearing to discuss a slate of bills aimed at bringing internet access to more Americans.

The panel will hear from representatives from the cable, internet and wireless industries and take up 22 bills from both sides of the aisle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Members have been ramping up their efforts to emphasize the importance of expanding broadband networks as the White House teases its infrastructure plan, which could be released in full by the end of the month.

Both parties largely share a goal of delivering high-speed internet to rural areas, but there are different philosophies between Democrats and Republicans on how to do that.

House Democrats released their own infrastructure bill last year that would inject $40 billion into programs for expanding access for unserved and underserved communities. A Federal Communications Commission (FCC) report last year estimated that figure is how much it would cost to deliver internet access to 98 percent of Americans. Getting internet access to the remaining harder-to-reach 2 percent, though, would require an additional $40 billion.

The Democrats' infrastructure bill, called the LIFT America Act, will be considered at Tuesday's hearing.

Republicans, meanwhile, have not said how much money they are willing to spend on broadband infrastructure, but the White House has endorsed a combination of private and public investment to boost efforts.

Still, bipartisan groups in the House and Senate have rallied around pushing the administration for direct funding for rural broadband expansion.

The bipartisan Senate Broadband Caucus, led by Sen. Shelley Moore CapitoShelley Wellons Moore CapitoRepublicans fear backlash over Trump's threatened veto on Confederate names McConnell makes strong call for masks, saying there should be no stigma Ernst sinks vote on Trump EPA nominee MORE (R-W.Va.) sent a letter to the president earlier this month pleading for stand-alone funding.

"Our rural communities have connectivity needs that are not being met, limiting economic opportunity and growth," the letter reads. "Prioritizing direct funding support for broadband deployment in an infrastructure package will help close the digital divide and ensure our country maintains its global competitiveness."

Also on Tuesday, the Senate Commerce Committee will look at the progress of the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act a year after its passage in a 2:30 p.m. hearing.

At 10 a.m. that day, the House Banking Committee's subcommittee on financial institutions will hold a hearing on financial technology.

At the same time, the House Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing titled "Readying the U.S. Military for Future Warfare."

Also on Tuesday, at 11 a.m. the House Small Business Committee will examine foreign cybersecurity threats.

 

Recent stories:

Six revelations from tech's answers on Russia's election meddling

Trump nominates four potential FTC commissioners

Regulators ask Congress for more power to police cryptocurrencies

DNC beefs up cyber team with former Yahoo executive

Hatch bill would dramatically increase H-1B visas

Government watchdog agrees to probe fake net neutrality comments

Cuomo signs executive order protecting net neutrality in New York

EU fines Qualcomm $1.2 billion over Apple payments

Burger King makes pro-net neutrality video

AT&T urges Congress to pass 'internet bill of rights'

Uber hires first-ever chief diversity and inclusion officer

Top Dems call on Twitter, Facebook to investigate Russian bot campaign

Tech giants spent record sums on lobbying in 2017

Rupert Murdoch: Facebook should pay publishers