Dems question FCC's claim of cyberattack during net neutrality comment period

Dems question FCC's claim of cyberattack during net neutrality comment period
© The Hill screengrab

A pair of Democratic senators are demanding answers from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on a 2017 cyberattack following a media report raising questions about the agency’s official story.

Sens. Brian SchatzBrian Emanuel SchatzOvernight Energy: Warren bill would force companies to disclose climate impacts | Green group backs Gillum in Florida gov race | Feds to open refuge near former nuke site Warren wants companies to disclose more about climate change impacts Congress just failed our nation’s veterans when it comes to medical marijuana MORE (D-Hawaii) and Ron WydenRonald (Ron) Lee WydenSome employees' personal data revealed in State Department email breach: report Hillicon Valley: North Korean IT firm hit with sanctions | Zuckerberg says Facebook better prepared for midterms | Big win for privacy advocates in Europe | Bezos launches B fund to help children, homeless Hillicon Valley: Trump signs off on sanctions for election meddlers | Russian hacker pleads guilty over botnet | Reddit bans QAnon forum | FCC delays review of T-Mobile, Sprint merger | EU approves controversial copyright law MORE (D-Ore.) sent FCC Chairman Ajit Pai a list of questions about an incident last year during which the agency’s comment-filing website was taken offline after the late-night comedian John Oliver urged his audience to flood it with pro-net neutrality comments.

At first, it appeared that a mass filing of submissions caused the Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) to crash, but the FCC later said the site was taken down by a cyberattack.

ADVERTISEMENT

“[H]ave any subsequent FCC or third-party (e.g., vendor, contractor, or government agency) analyses or investigations verified that a cyberattack on ECFS occurred in 2017 and, if so, that the attack is best classified as a [distributed denial of service] attack?” the senators wrote in their letter. “If not, why was no investigation conducted? Please provide any and all reports, findings, and other relevant details of any such investigations.”

A spokeswoman for the FCC did not immediately respond when asked for comment.

The letter comes as the FCC's controversial move to rescind the Obama-era net neutrality rules officially takes effect.

Last week, Gizmodo released a report questioning the official story of a cyberattack in 2017 as well as a claim that the ECFS had suffered an earlier one in 2014 after another Oliver segment. Pai has said he relied on an assessment from the FCC’s chief information officer, David Bray, who has since left the agency.

Schatz and Wyden asked that Pai respond to their questions by June 27.