China accuses US of 'rumors' and 'lies' about Huawei government ties

China accuses US of 'rumors' and 'lies' about Huawei government ties
© Getty Images

China's foreign ministry lashed out at the U.S. on Friday, accusing U.S. officials of blacklisting Huawei technology and spreading claims about the company's connections to the Chinese government without presenting "clear evidence."

Reuters reported that Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang denounced Secretary of State Mike PompeoMichael (Mike) Richard Pompeo2 US service members killed in Afghanistan after Pompeo visit The Hill's Morning Report - Democratic debates: Miami nice or spice? State Department need not be at odds with itself on Republic of Cyprus policy MORE's assertion made a day earlier that more U.S. companies would cease doing business with Huawei.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Recently, some U.S. politicians have continually fabricated rumors about Huawei but have never produced the clear evidence that countries have requested,” Lu said, according to the news service.

“Domestically in the United States there are more and more doubts about the trade war the U.S. side has provoked with China, the market turmoil cause by the technology war and blocked industrial cooperation,” Lu reportedly added.

Lu also reacted to remarks from President TrumpDonald John Trump2020 Democrats spar over socialism ahead of first debate Senate passes .5 billion border bill, setting up fight with House 'Teflon Don' avoids the scorn of the 'family values' GOP — again MORE, who said this week that Huawei tech was "very dangerous," according to Reuters.

“Frankly, I’m actually not sure what the specific meaning of the U.S. leader, the U.S. side, saying this is,” Lu said when asked about Trump's remarks.

Lu's press conference came just days after the Trump administration announced that it would delay a planned blacklisting of Huawei's tech that would prevent any U.S. company from doing business with Huawei, a step up from previous decisions from the Trump administration to cease using the company's tech and efforts to urge other countries to do the same.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur RossWilbur Louis RossTrump officials ask Supreme Court to rule on discrimination claims in citizenship question decision Democrats: Ex-Commerce aide said Ross asked him to examine adding census citizenship question Apple in front lines of Trump trade war MORE said this week that delaying the ban “grants operators time to make other arrangements and the Department space to determine the appropriate long-term measures for Americans and foreign telecommunications providers that currently rely on Huawei equipment for critical services.”

A spokesperson for Huawei said earlier this week that “restricting Huawei from doing business in the US will not make the US more secure or stronger; instead, this will only serve to limit the US to inferior yet more expensive alternatives, leaving the US lagging behind in 5G deployment, and eventually harming the interests of US companies and consumers.”

“In addition, unreasonable restrictions will infringe upon Huawei’s rights and raise other serious legal issues,” the spokesperson added.