The home-sharing company Airbnb said Wednesday it will pursue legal action against a guest who held an unauthorized party at a home in Sacramento County, Calif., last weekend where three people were shot and wounded.
The company announced it would be taking legal action against the guest on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported.
The San Francisco-based company would not release the guest’s name, but said it has removed the guest from its platform, according to the newswire.
Airbnb said the company will donate any money recovered through this proceeding to a local Sacramento nonprofit fighting against gun violence.
The company said it notified the guest Monday of its intent to bring legal action, alleging negligence and violation of local health orders, as well as violation of Airbnb’s community standards and booking the rental under false pretense.
A Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman told AP the shooting remains under investigation.
The lawsuit is the first time the company has taken legal action against a guest for violating its ban on unauthorized parties.
The company late last year banned “party houses” after five people were shot and killed at an unauthorized party in Orinda, Calif. Co-founder and CEO Brian Chesky said at the time the company would expand manual screening of high-risk reservations, creating a dedicated “party house” rapid response team, and take “immediate action” against users who violate the enhanced policies.
Last month the company shared an initiative restricting guests under 25 from booking entire homes close to where they live.
Updated at 11:08 p.m.