Judge unsure of need to issue new order blocking TikTok ban
A federal judge on Wednesday reportedly said he was unsure if he had the legal basis to issue a new injunction barring the Trump administration from restricting the use of the popular video-sharing app TikTok after a Pennsylvania judge blocked the order from taking effect last week.
U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols for the District of Columbia said he was unsure if ByteDance’s TikTok could demonstrate “irreparable harm” as needed to win a new injunction against the U.S. Commerce Department order that calls for app stores to remove the ability for new users to download TikTok, Reuters reported.
Last week, U.S. District Judge Wendy Beetlestone issued a preliminary injunction that blocked the Trump administration’s order barring transactions with TikTok that was set to take effect Nov. 12.
Beetlestone’s order came after Nichols in September temporarily blocked a portion of the executive order.
Beetlestone argued Trump exceeded his authority by invoking his emergency economic powers to impose sanctions against TikTok by citing a threat to U.S. security.
The Commerce Department said it would comply with Beetlestone’s order, but the department said it would “vigorously defend” the executive order.
The Trump administration’s push to overhaul how TikTok operates in the U.S. over potential national security concerns is part of a larger effort from the administration to clamp down on Chinese tech companies amid rising tension between Washington and Beijing.
TikTok has denied allegations that the app poses national security concerns.
A proposed TikTok deal under consideration by Beijing and Washington would establish a U.S.-headquartered TikTok Global and include a partnership with two American companies, Oracle and Walmart, while preserving the involvement of ByteDance.