Technology

YouTube removed 30,000 videos with vaccine misinformation

Getty Images

YouTube has taken down more than 30,000 videos containing misinformation about the coronavirus vaccine since October, a company spokesperson told The Hill Thursday.

The videos “included claims about COVID-19 vaccinations that contradict local health authorities or the World Health Organization,” Elena Hernandez said in a statement.

The platform has taken down 800,000 videos for general COVID-19 misinformation since February of last year.

Containing coronavirus misinformation, specifically about the vaccines that are now available to the public, has been a challenge for social media platforms.

Facebook and Twitter have instituted similar policies to remove COVID-19 vaccine misinformation, which experts say can contribute to vaccine hesitancy.

Although YouTube has taken down many videos and elevated trusted sources, several potentially dangerous videos skate by their filters untouched.

A recent investigation by Media Matters for America found that videos pushing the falsehood that vaccines are being used as a vehicle to implant microchips in patients were pulling in hundreds of thousands of views.

Tags Coronavirus Facebook Twitter vaccine misinformation YouTube

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more

Video

See all Video