Twitter to rollout ticketed Spaces to limited group of users

Getty Images

Twitter will start rolling out ticketed options for its audio room feature Spaces for some users, a company spokesperson said Monday. 

The social media platform said it will let hosts of the audio Spaces set the price for the tickets, and the host will be able to earn up to 80 percent of the revenue on ticket sales after Apple and Google’s in-app purchase fees are taken. Twitter is left to collect the remaining 20 percent of the revenue. 

“Hosts put time and effort into creating space for conversation, connection and fun. Now, we’re working on a way for hosts to be rewarded for the experiences they create by getting monetary support, while providing listeners with exclusive access to the conversations they care about most,” a Twitter spokesperson said in a statement. 

The update comes after Clubhouse, an audio-only platform increasing in popularity, launched a payment feature in April. Unlike Twitter, Clubhouse said 100 percent of the payments will go to the creator without the platform taking a cut. 

Twitter said a “limited group” will be able to host Ticketed Spaces to start, and the applications will open up in coming weeks. 

It builds on Twitter’s expansion of Spaces. Earlier this month the platform opened up Spaces to accounts with 600 or more followers. 

The platform has also been expanding on its options for users to get paid for content. Earlier this month, it announced a new “Tip Jar” feature that allows some users to collect payments from others. 

Twitter said it will not take a cut from the funds sent to users through Tip Jar. 

Tags Clubhouse content creators Spaces Top Jar Twitter

The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.

Most Popular

Load more


See all Video