Facebook has no current plan to end the Trump suspension
Facebook reportedly has no plans to lift President Trump’s suspension from the social media network even after he leaves the White House.
NBC News reported Wednesday, citing sources familiar with the company’s plans, that Trump’s account block remains indefinite with no plans to lift it at this time.
A representative for Facebook pointed The Hill to a tweet from the company’s communications director Andy Stone emphasizing there are “no plans” to lift the block on Trump’s accounts.
“There has been no change to the status of the President’s Facebook and Instagram accounts,” Stone tweeted Jan. 15.
“The indefinite block we placed on the President’s ability to post from those accounts remains in place and there are no plans to lift it,” he added.
Facebook’s COO Sheryl Sandberg also said last week that the company had “no plans” to lift Trump’s ban.
Facebook’s ban also applies to Trump’s Instagram account, as Facebook owns the photo-sharing app. The social media company banned Trump’s account along with YouTube, Snapchat and Reddit for his role in inciting the violent mob that swarmed the Capitol on Jan. 6.
At the time of Trump’s suspension, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said the “risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great.”
Twitter, a favored platform of Trump’s, is the first social media company to ban the president permanently from the site for repeatedly violating its conditions.
Twitter co-founder and CEO Jack Dorsey stated he felt “no pride” in banning Trump from the site.
“I do not celebrate or feel pride in our having to ban @realDonaldTrump from Twitter, or how we got here. After a clear warning we’d take this action, we made a decision with the best information we had based on threats to physical safety both on and off Twitter,” said Dorsey in a Twitter thread about Trump’s ban.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) said last week that Zuckerberg and his company should “bear partial responsibility” for inciting the deadly Capitol breach. Sandberg had claimed during a recent interview that the Capitol riot had been organized mostly on sites other than Facebook, though she acknowledged the company likely missed some groups.
“I believe that this is directly connected to the complete lack of accountability that monopolies like Facebook have to democracy,” said Ocasio-Cortez during her monthly virtual town hall. “Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook bear partial responsibility for Wednesday’s events. Period.”
Updated: 4:52 p.m.
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.