Judge denies attempt to delay ruling in census case

A federal district court judge denied another attempt from the Trump administration to delay proceedings in a trial over its decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 Census.

Judge Jesse Furman, of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, said “enough is enough,” in denying the request.

“Their latest and strangest effort is a motion to stay all further proceedings, including entry of final judgment, pending the Supreme Court’s resolution of their challenge this Court’s discovery-related orders,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Supreme Court last week agreed to hear arguments in a dispute over whether Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross can be questioned under oath about his decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

The Supreme Court said it will hear arguments on Feb. 19 in the battle over discovery.

In its request for a stay of further proceedings and final judgment, Justice Department argued it would be an inefficient use of time and resources of the court to proceed with the case in light of the pending U.S. Supreme Court decision.

But in a scathing denial, Furman, an Obama appointee, called that claim “galling.”

“Defendants’ motion makes so little sense, even on its own terms, that it is hard to understand as anything but an attempt to avoid a timely decision on the merits altogether,” he said.

“That conclusion is reinforced by the fact that defendants, once again, appealed to the Second Circuit even before this Court had heard from Plaintiffs, let alone issued this ruling on the motion.”