Judge in Roger Stone case orders Tuesday phone hearing

The judge overseeing longtime Trump adviser Roger StoneRoger Jason StoneJuan Williams: Mueller, one year on House Judiciary Committee postpones hearing with Barr amid coronavirus outbreak Trump 'strongly considering' full pardon for Flynn MORE’s trial ordered both the defense and prosecution to appear at a phone hearing Tuesday after all four Justice Department prosecutors withdrew from the case.

U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson ordered the hearing Sunday following the prosecutors’ withdrawal, which came after Attorney General William BarrWilliam Pelham BarrBarr tells prosecutors to consider coronavirus risk when determining bail: report Decentralized leadership raises questions about Trump coronavirus response Feds distributing masks, other gear seized in price-gouging investigation to NY, NJ health care workers MORE overrode their recommendation of a seven- to nine-year sentence, Politico reported.

The withdrawal sparked accusations of political interference, particularly in light of President TrumpDonald John TrumpOvernight Health Care: US hits 10,000 coronavirus deaths | Trump touts 'friendly' talk with Biden on response | Trump dismisses report on hospital shortages as 'just wrong' | Cuomo sees possible signs of curve flattening in NY We need to be 'One America,' the polling says — and the politicians should listen Barr tells prosecutors to consider coronavirus risk when determining bail: report MORE’s tweets condemning Stone’s prosecution. Barr has denied Trump asked him to intervene but said in an interview last week that Trump tweeting about Justice Department matters was making his job more difficult.

Stone is set for sentencing Thursday on seven felony counts, including lying to investigators and witness tampering. Whether the sentencing will proceed as planned remains unclear after Stone’s lawyers moved for a new trial. Johnson rejected an earlier such motion in 2019.

On Friday, Jackson issued an order for the Justice Department to respond to the latest new trial motion, which is still sealed, by Tuesday at midnight, the publication reports. She has made no indication of any plans to inquire further into the prosecutors’ withdrawal despite the urging of some former Justice Department prosecutors.