SPONSORED:

Man who attacked Rand Paul sentenced to additional time in confinement

The man who attacked Sen. Rand PaulRandal (Rand) Howard PaulAlarm grows over impact of states banning trans youth treatment The Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by ExxonMobil - World mourns the death of Prince Philip The Hill's Morning Report - Biden assails 'epidemic' of gun violence amid SC, Texas shootings MORE (R-Ky.) in 2017 was sentenced Monday to an additional 14 months in confinement.

U.S. District Judge Matthew F. Leitman gave Rene Boucher the additional sentence of eight months in prison and six months on home confinement, the Lexington Herald Leader reported. The new punishment came after prosecutors had argued the initial sentence did not appropriately reflect the injuries Paul endured from the attack.

"There's absolutely no downplaying the seriousness of the harm you visited on Sen. Paul and his family," Leitman said, according to the Bowling Green Daily News

ADVERTISEMENT

Boucher was originally sentenced to serve 30 days in jail, complete 100 hours of community service and pay a $10,000 fine. A federal appeals court vacated the 30-day sentence last year, saying it was too lenient and granting prosecutors the chance to try to get a tougher punishment.

Prosecutors had argued for an at least 21 month sentence, citing the senator’s injuries, including six broken ribs and cases of pneumonia. Assistant U.S. Attorney Brad Shepard indicated the government may appeal the sentence, according to the Lexington Herald Leader. 

Boucher’s lawyer Matthew J. Baker asserted the original sentence, which Boucher had already served, was fitting for his client and an additional sentence would punish him again for the same crime. He also noted Boucher was ordered to pay $582,000 to Paul last year.

The defendant apologized for the 2017 attack during the sentencing saying, “What I did was egregiously wrong.”

"I broke several ribs, I don't feel good about that,” he said, according to the Bowling Green Daily News. “I'm embarrassed. I'm sorry for what (the Pauls) have gone through, and I'm sorry to my family for what I've dragged them through. I brought on all this embarrassment."

Boucher will remain free as prosecutors decide whether or not to file an appeal to the sentence. 

The 2017 attack occurred when Boucher grew upset after Paul was completing yard work and placed debris near their shared property line.

The Hill has reached out to Paul's office and Boucher's lawyer.