Teenage suspect in Capitol riot ordered released from jail after testing positive for COVID-19

Teenage suspect in Capitol riot ordered released from jail after testing positive for COVID-19
© Getty Images

A teenager charged in connection to the Jan. 6 Capitol riot has been ordered released from jail after contracting COVID-19.

During a court hearing on Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss granted 18-year-old Bruno Joseph Cua pretrial release, an attorney for Cua told The Hill. 

Cua was granted bond, and will be released into his mother's custody on March 16. 


The move comes a day after the court was notified of Cua’s COVID-19 diagnosis.

Cua’s attorney William Zapf wrote that his client tested positive “after spending several days in an open room with a couple dozen other inmates.” 

Zapf also said that Cua was assaulted and threatened by another inmate over the weekend.

“We understand that the inmate struck Mr. Cua in the face with his open hand, injuring his nose, over the use of the phone, and then threatened him regarding the incident,” Zapf wrote.

According to a local NBC affiliate in Atlanta, he is currently being held at a jail in Oklahoma.



Federal prosecutors had argued against Cua's release on Monday, saying in a court filing that he “poses a significant danger to the community.”

“His social media posts … show clearly the radicalized mind of a young man fixated on stopping the normal functioning of democracy by violent means,” prosecutors wrote.

“The defendant assaulted a police officer attempting to protect the seat of the legislative branch of the federal government, and stormed the U.S. Capitol in an attempt to stop the peaceful transfer of power,” they added.

Authorities arrested Cua in February and he is currently facing 12 charges in connection to the riot.

His lawyers called for his release last month, casting him as an "impressionable 18-year-old kid who was in the middle of finishing his online coursework to graduate from high school when he was arrested.”