Capitol bomb threat suspect charged in court
The suspect who claimed to have a bomb in his truck near the U.S. Capitol on Thursday has been charged in federal court and faces up to life in prison if convicted.
Floyd Ray Roseberry, of North Carolina, was charged in federal court in Washington, D.C., with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and attempted use of an explosive device.
The first charge carries with it a maximum sentence of life in prison, as well as a possible fine of up to $250,000. The second carries up to 10 years in prison, with an additional $250,000 fine.
Roseberry was taken into custody on Thursday afternoon after surrendering to authorities following an hours-long standoff after he parked his pickup truck near the Library of Congress and threatened to detonate a bomb, according to police.
In a since-removed Facebook livestream, the suspect also issued several demands, including calling for President Biden’s resignation as well as a launch of airstrikes on the Taliban in Afghanistan, CNBC reported.
The bomb threat Thursday prompted evacuations of the Cannon House Office Building, the Library of Congress’s Jefferson Building and other nearby buildings as authorities conducted investigations and negotiations.
Capitol Police said later Thursday that while they did not find explosives in the man’s truck, “possible bomb making materials” were collected by authorities.
During the virtual hearing Friday, Roseberry informed the judge that he had not taken his “mind medicine” for two days, and also did not have access to his blood pressure medications and other regular treatments.
Roseberry also told U.S. Magistrate Judge Zia M. Faruqui, “My memory isn’t that well, sir,” adding that his wife has power of attorney over his medical care.
Faruqui subsequently ordered the court to get the defendant access to his needed medications, and approved a request from Assistant U.S. Attorney Luke Jones to hold a competency hearing to determine if he is fit to stand trial.
Jones also requested that Roseberry remain in jail at least until his next hearing, which is tentatively scheduled for next Wednesday at 4 p.m.
Roseberry, who authorities previously said was 49 but who said he was 51 in court Friday, told Faruqui that although they couldn’t “see each other eye to eye” during the virtual proceeding, “I can in your voice that you’re a good man.”
“And I don’t have to not trust you,” he said, adding, “I’m willing to do whatever you ask.”
According to court documents unsealed Friday, a relative of Roseberry told local law enforcement on Wednesday that the defendant “had recently expressed anti-government views and an intent to travel to Virginia or Washington, D.C. to conduct acts of violence.”
Capitol Police Chief Thomas Manger said Thursday that authorities had spoken with some family members who said that Roseberry had been “dealing with” issues, adding, “We do know that Mr. Roseberry has had some losses of family. I believe his mother recently passed away.”
The Hill has removed its comment section, as there are many other forums for readers to participate in the conversation. We invite you to join the discussion on Facebook and Twitter.