A man who authorities say brought Molotov cocktails and firearms to the Capitol on Jan. 6 is expected to plead guilty, according to a court document filed Wednesday.
Prosecutors said they’ve reached an agreement with Lonnie Coffman to resolve his case through a plea agreement. A hearing scheduled for Sept. 29 is expected to be converted to a plea hearing.
The details of the agreement were not revealed in Wednesday’s notice. Manuel Retureta, an attorney for Coffman, told The Hill that he is not commenting on the agreement at this time.
Coffman, who was arrested Jan. 7, initially pleaded not guilty to 17 charges in connection with bringing weapons to the Capitol that day. His charges include possession of an unregistered firearm, carrying a pistol without a license and possession of a large-capacity feeding device.
Authorities said a search of his truck near the Capitol found a handgun, an assault rifle and 11 Molotov cocktails that prosecutors said were “homemade napalm.” Prosecutors also said investigators discovered a shotgun, a crossbow, several machetes, smoke bombs and a stun gun.
A handwritten note from Coffman allegedly had a quote from Abraham Lincoln about overthrowing “the men who pervert the Constitution.” The note also listed conservative journalists as “good,” and noted that Rep. André Carson (D-Ind.) was one of few Muslims in the House.
A judge ordered Coffman to be detained pending trial in January, noting that his travel to D.C. and the handwritten notes suggest that he went to the Capitol with the intent to either use the weapons against government officials or to help others in doing so.
Prosecutors first said in a July hearing that they had offered Coffman a plea agreement, according to court records. Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ordered the parties to notify the court by Wednesday if a plea agreement had been reached.