Top prosecutors in Manhattan DA’s inquiry into Trump resign
Top prosecutors leading an investigation within the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office regarding former President Trump and his business dealings submitted their resignations on Wednesday, just weeks before the term of the probe’s grand jury expires in April.
A spokesperson for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg confirmed to The Hill that Mark Pomerantz and Carey Dunne had resigned. The New York Times, which first reported the news, said the prosecutors resigned after Bragg signaled doubts about moving ahead with the Trump probe.
“We are grateful for their service,” the spokesperson, Danielle Filson, said in a statement of Dunne and Pomerantz, adding that the investigation is ongoing and she could not comment beyond that.
The newspaper noted that it was not immediately clear why Bragg had expressed doubts about the case.
Dunne declined to comment about the matter to the Times, while Pomerantz confirmed his resignation to the newspaper.
At the crux of the investigation is whether assets had been inflated in value by Trump in order for the bank to give preferential loan terms. Last fall, a grand jury was convened by Bragg’s predecessor, Cyrus Vance.
However, over the last month, the grand jury has not heard any witnesses being questioned. One person told the Times that plans for at least one witness to be questioned before the grand jury were shelved in late January.
That leaves prosecutors now in a tricky situation amid the departure of two high-profile members involved in the case. The Times noted that prosecutors avoid enrolling a new grand jury when testimony has already been heard from a previous one, given that conflicting statements can be made by witnesses.
The Times also noted that prosecutors also tend to avoid asking jurors to vote for a term extension, though they could use that option.
The Hill has reached out to Dunne and Pomerantz for comment.
Updated at 8:08 p.m.