For posting September 2021
Position Title: Communications Assistant
Start Date: October 15, 2021 (full time)
Location: Washington DC
About ORF America
The Observer Research Foundation America (ORF America) was established in 2020 as an independent, non-partisan public policy institute based in Washington DC. It is an overseas affiliate of the Observer Research Foundation, India’s premier non-government think tank. ORF America produces research and commentary and convenes policymakers and thought leaders on global affairs, with a particular focus on relations between the developed and developing worlds and between India and the Americas. Its areas of focus include strategic and security affairs, technology policy, energy and sustainability, and economic policy. ORF America is an equal opportunity employer and hires staff without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability.
ORF America is seeking a full-time Communications Assistant to support a dynamic and growing team. Responsibilities include database management, event outreach, media contact development, social media engagement, and website posts and maintenance. This position reports to the Executive Director and offers the opportunity for long-term professional growth. The Communications Assistant will work closely with the ORF America team in Washington DC as well as colleagues at ORF’s offices in India.
- • Undergraduate degree in a communications, marketing, journalism, or related field.
- • Social media proficiency within a professional context.
- • Knowledge and comfort with database and website management.
- • Excellent writing and editing skills in English.
- • Proficient with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator is an asset.
- • A self-starter with the ability to multitask and work in a fast-paced environment.
- • Attention to detail and willingness to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- • Candidates must be based in the Washington DC area and eligible to work in the United States.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- • Database management.
- • Draft, design, and send external communications such as the quarterly newsletter and various announcements.
- • Event support: create and send invitations; provide technical support on virtual platforms such as Zoom; post event notifications and highlights to the website and social media platforms; live tweeting when requested.
- • Media contact development.
- • Social media updates – core platforms include Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube. Create and/or work with designers on graphics for social media posts.
- • Copy edit, layout, and select images for publications on the website.
- • Website updates and maintenance. Track and monitor analytics. Propose suggestions for increasing traffic and audience engagement.
ORF America offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send a one-page cover letter, salary requirement, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write: “Job Application: Communications Assistant” in the subject line. ORF America will contact only those candidates who are extended an interview.