Position Name: Federal Legislative Associate
Position Location: Washington, DC
The Federal Legislative Associate is responsible for supporting senior lobbyists in governmental affairs, lobbying and consulting services in the legislative and executive branches of government at the federal level. The Federal Legislative Associate will communicate directly with clients to represent their needs, attend meetings, lobby on their behalf, and ensure optimal resource allocation and communication is taking place to serve the client. As directed, the Federal Legislative Associate will research potential clients, analyze proposed and existing regulatory and legislative policies along with the anticipated impacts to clients, and communicate findings. The Federal Legislative Associate identifies issues, collects information, and creates possible solution and should be well organized, flexible and enjoy the challenges of working as a team player in a small office.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Governmental and Legislative Affairs
- Handle a wide range of legislative and administrative issues and work independently
- Interface with government officials and employees on behalf of our clients and TPG
- Develop a knowledge base and maintain a network of key contacts and relationships within Congress and the Administration
- Assist with navigating federal grants and the annual appropriations process
- Assist in creating and executing a legislative agenda to include scheduling and attending meetings on Capitol Hill and within Executive Agencies.
- Interact with staff and Members in a fast-paced environment, sometimes under pressure, remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient, with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Participate in the formation of strategies for a diverse set of clients
Maintain Client Relationships
- Develop a clear understanding of the business operations of the client
- Follow up with client on behalf of senior lobbyists and TPG
- Provide legislative insight, updates, and advice
- Keep the client informed about events, opportunities, or situations which may be of interest to them
- Field inquiries and requests and provide answers/feedback in a timely manner. If inquires or requests need to be escalated, ensure follow-through for appropriate resolution.
- Assist with scheduling meetings between clients and TPG
- Write monthly and weekly legislative reports, in addition to monthly client billing summaries
- Assist with content for TPG client communication
These duties, responsibilities, requirements, and conditions are not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions that may be deemed necessary in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent experience required
- 2-5 years of legislative experience, with a general knowledge of the legislative process
- Working knowledge of U.S House and Senate, their administrative practices and communications protocol, including the authorization and appropriations processes
- Ability to analyze and summarize legislation
- Strong interpersonal skills and the confidence to build and maintain relationships
- Strong research and writing skills
- Capacity to work with various team members on multiple projects
- Ability to meet deadlines and deliver excellent work products timely
- Attention to detail with minimal supervision
- Maintain a professional and respectful demeanor
- Self-directed when working on projects
- Excellent communication skills internally and externally
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure
- Extensive knowledge of firm, its clients, community and government activities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Number of employees supervised by this position: None
Job title listing of positions supervised: None
Job title(s) of immediate supervisor(s): Partner
Work is performed in an office setting with some work performed at various events locations which may be indoors and outdoors.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements which may be inherent in the position. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
To Apply: Please send letters of interest and resumes to Faith Garbett: firstname.lastname@example.org