Position: Vice President of Communications
Supervisor: Executive Vice President, Public Affairs
Status: Full Time
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, Public Affairs and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Vice President (VP) of Communications will be responsible for the development of Auto Innovators’ communication strategy and will contribute to organizational strategic planning process. The VP of Communications will develop a world-class communications plan, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization's mission. The VP of Communications will be responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. The VP of Communications will be an ambassador for the organization and will build and maintain excellent relationships with the media. The goal is to advance the organization's position with relevant constituents, as well as to drive broader awareness and member support for the organization. The VP of Communications will be responsible for integrated communications products and services including: media and public relations, Association-produced content; strategic communications events; digital and other online communications.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- • Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Auto Innovators’ mission; broaden awareness of its priorities; and increase the visibility of its key issues across membership baseline.
- • Provide strategic vision and oversee plan and execution of marketing collateral for Auto Innovators.
- • Increase Auto Innovators thought leadership brand through Autos2050.
- • Create marketing and public relations strategy that will allow Auto Innovators’ leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- • Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions; define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- • Serve as communications counselor to the leadership and engage in rapid response and crisis management, counsel and guidance at appropriate times.
- • Oversee communications team and consultants.
- • Serve as primary representative to organization leadership, Executive Committee members, governing members, communications committee representatives, stakeholders and key reporters.
- • Oversee development of all Auto Innovators’ print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including the Auto Innovators’ website; manage relationships with associated vendors and consultants.
- • Serve as lead press spokesperson absent Auto Innovators’ CEO; manage complex team efforts among departments and efforts; identify developing opportunities at the intersection of public policy and auto innovation.
- • Synchronize online and traditional communications among topic experts, company SMEs and association policy committee leads.
- • Prioritize and prepare for media opportunities, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed.
- • Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding Auto Innovators’ leadership, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- • Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- • Mentor and develop staff using a supportive, consistent and collaborative approach.
- • Recruit and manage a communications team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy.
- • Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals.
- • Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting and planning.
- • Minimum 10 years of experience in a senior management role either in-house or with an agency. Capitol Hill and/or campaign experience highly desirable.
- • Demonstrated skills and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- • Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media.
- • Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
- • Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
- • Experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
- • Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action.
- • Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of communications specialists.
- • Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- • Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
- • Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of a high-performing Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- • Self-reliant problem solver
- • Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- • Excellent and persuasive communicator.
- • Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance, and administration initiatives.
- • Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, Executive Committee, Board Members and staff.
- • Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
- • Passion for Auto Innovators’ mission.
- • Master's degree in journalism, communications, or related field—or commensurate post-bachelor’s degree experience—is preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Alliance for Automotive Innovation, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on a position.