Position Title: Social Media Community Manager
Position Location: Washington, DC, Brooklyn, NY, or remote within the United States.
The Center for Popular Democracy/CPD Action is seeking a Social Media Community Manager.
About CPD + CPDA
The Center for Popular Democracy and CPD Action (together, CPD/A) work to promote equity, opportunity, and a dynamic democracy in partnership with innovative base-building organizations, organizing networks and alliances, and progressive unions across the country. We work with nearly 50 affiliates in over 30 states and Puerto Rico to build the strength and capacity of democratic organizations that envision and advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial and economic justice agenda. We are a rapidly-expanding, changing organization that partners with organizations across the country to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color.
About the Position:
The Communications Department at CPD/A is an integral part of our vision to build political power and win tangible victories that improve the lives of low-wage workers, immigrants, and communities of color. With your help, the department will ignite our base into action, strengthen our collective capacity for social change, and tell the story of our work, our affiliates, and our vision for the world as it could be.
The Social Media Community Manager will play a huge role in supporting and growing our online communities for CPD/A on Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram. This position will play an integral role in innovation -- keeping an eye on developing trends to ensure we are meeting our community where they are at. This position will also oversee digital ads to acquire new members and support our campaigns. The ideal candidate for this position is deeply engaged in social media and online trends, rooted in organizing and activism, quick to spot and respond to digital communications opportunities, and able to thrive and adapt to a rapidly shifting environment. In addition to working on social media, the Social Media Manager will support the digital team as needed in a variety of capacities.
We estimate that people serving in this role will come to CPD/A with about 6 years of relevant experience, but our review of candidates for this role will focus on whether they can fill the needs of the position, not just years of experience.
The Social Media Community Manager will report to the Digital Director.
The Social Media Community Manager will:
- • Oversee an editorial and social media calendars for all social channels
- • Manage communication with our members across social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, and any other emerging platforms.
- • Create, edit, publish, and share high-impact content that supports organizing, advocacy, fundraising, and communication goals in keeping with organizational voice, perspective, and identity.
- • Work with the Digital Director to monitor and learn from our analytics.
- • A/B test content for our members across social media platforms.
- • Design and execute social media strategies for CPD/A campaigns, colleagues, and affiliates to attract and engage followers, elevate CPD/A’s online presence, and mobilize people to take action.
- • Manage training CPD/A’s staff and affiliates on core social media proficiencies.
- • Create and execute a plan to expand CPD/A’s online membership through innovative content, platform expansion, leadership development, and/or paid ads.
- • Help build and maintain a culture of radical empathy, collaboration, and learning in our growing communications team.
- • Collaborate with organizers, campaigners, and CPD/A staff and affiliates on digital components of the communications plan, including building and running online ad campaigns.
- • Analyze and report on key metrics on social media traffic, and adjust tactics as needed.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- • Experience managing social media communities of 50,000+ people.
- • 1 or more years of experience in analytics for social media, from A/B testing content to utilizing data to increase engagement.
- • Significant experience with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- • Excellent narrative and storytelling skills that move people to action.
- • An interest in learning and exploring the potential of new and existing social media platforms.
- • Ability to quickly create public-facing content.
- • Some paid digital ad program management experience.
- • Ability to travel occasionally to support direct actions and events.
- • Social justice movement experience in either an organizing or digital support capacity.
- • A demonstrated commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and a deep understanding of challenges facing low-wage workers, immigrant communities, communities of color, disabled people, LGBTQ+ folks, and people at the intersections of the above communities.
We’d like it if you also have 2-3 of the following:
- • Ability to write and create social media content in Spanish.
- • Creative skills -- such as Canva, photoshop, or video editing.
- • Tik Tok content creation experience, program management, or advertising
- • Direct action and/or protest social media management experience.
- • Experience with website management and updates.
- • Experience managing paid digital or in-person ad campaigns.
- • Experience with action-related tools such as EveryAction, Mobilize, Action Network, New/Mode and/or web platforms like Squarespace or Wordpress.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a union position. Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years’ experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $65,000-$75,000 and category 2. The Collective Bargaining Agreement is available here.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 15 vacation days your first year, 10 sick days per year, 13 paid holidays per year, and contributions to individuals’ 401K plans.
CPD/A is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.
Applications preferred by November 29. Applicants can expect to participate in 2 rounds of interviews and complete an exercise. Please submit your materials through the application portal. Link here.