Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs
National Strategies (NSI) is seeking a Vice President of Government Relations and Public Affairs on behalf of one of its highly successful and rapidly growing clients. The client is in the dietary supplement industry and faces significant federal and state regulatory pressures. The Vice President will report to the client’s Chief Legal Officer but work closely with the client’s founder and the rest of the executive team. The selected candidate will lead development and execution of the client’s federal, state and international government affairs function. The role will be supported by a team of external consultants, including leading federal and state lobbying firms as well as public relations/public affairs firms. The Vice President will lead the client’s public relations firms to develop strategy, collateral, media and messaging to change current narratives to support the client’s objectives. The Vice President will be the voice of the client on all matters and issues relating to the client’s regulatory and legislative agenda at the federal and state levels, including those to expand its category and advance its interests and those of its customers. Working closely with the client’s internal and external science team, the Vice President will develop strategies to advance and utilize science to secure mass market and key stakeholder understanding of safety, value and use related to improved health outcomes for consumers. The selected candidate will be driven, strategic, have an extensive network and significant government relations and public affairs experience, and have a powerful, outgoing personality which helps build, maintain and lead networks quickly. The Vice President must not be afraid to take on complex challenges to advance seemingly impossible missions.
- • Lead, develop, and implement an integrated government relations and public relations strategy to support the client's business interests in the United States and globally.
- • Develop long-term government relations strategy in partnership with other senior leaders and external strategy partners.
- • Build and maintain strong relationships and a sophisticated network with relevant government officials, legislative offices, industry partners and thought leaders to influence public discourse in support of client’s interests.
- • Represent the client before the Congress, Federal Administration, state and local governments and other related organizations on issues related to the client’s business, advocating outcomes sought by the organization.
- • Serve as a critical thought leader for the client on any developments in the government market.
- • Enhance the client’s presence in Washington DC and create a national platform on which the client’s positions can be articulated.
- • Provide leadership and oversight in initiating projects that will positively impact the client’s relationship with policymakers.
- • Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to ensure message discipline and policy consistency.
- • Create a library of original thought leadership content that can be leveraged to communicate the client’s brand value proposition to internal and external stakeholders.
- • Represent interests of the client and advances its policy interests in relevant trade associations and advocacy groups.
- • Ten plus years combined related experience in government affairs, health or public policy related, preferably working with founder/entrepreneur and global team.
- • Preference of experience using science to advance government relations goals.
- • Experience managing complex issues.
- • History of successfully navigating and influencing members of Congress, their staffs, administration officials and policy personnel at relevant federal agencies, such as FDA, HHS, and NIDA to achieve desired outcomes.
- • Demonstrated experience (or success) working in a bipartisan fashion to achieve results.
- • Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with government decision makers and influencers.
- • Strong team building and coalition experience, including working with federal and state lobbying as well as public affairs and public relations firms.
- • Impeccable reputation with a strong commitment to the ethics rules in Congress and the executive branch.
- • Provide consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- • Exceptional written and oral communications skills.
- • Must reside in the DC area.
- • Very strong references, which you reported to, that support your suitability for this role.
Preference shown to candidates who have experience in:
- • Working in Government Relations leadership in pharmaceutical industry on controversial issues AND/OR leading meaningful legislative or regulatory accomplishments in Cannabis/Alcohol/Vaping industry.
- • Extensive experience with developing and leading nationwide public relations/public affairs.
- • Experience in pharmaceutical or dietary supplement legislation or regulation.
In this role, you will lead the value creation of the client and category. You will be rewarded with a generous base salary, an aggressive, and real, profit share program and a significant stake in a relatively near term targeted lucrative exit. You will work hard but will be rewarded very well. Medical benefits will be provided and 3 weeks' vacation.
To apply: please submit your resume, a cover letter and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.